Program Length: 30 weeks
This program is offered at our Toronto Campus
The Medical Office Assistant program provides comprehensive training to find a job in doctors’ offices, hospitals and other facilities. Students use a variety of computer programs and become familiar with special software used in medical offices. The program offers specialized education which includes knowledge of medical, office administration and bookkeeping.
At North American College of Information Technology, we increase your marketability by teaching the concepts and skills you’ll need to work in a medical office using modern tools and technology including understanding of various medical office procedures, healthcare fundamentals, medical terminology, client communications, bookkeeping, Microsoft Office skills such as Advanced Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and database with special emphasis on the transferable skills, demanded by the employers
- Healthcare – History, Ethics and Legalities
- Medical Terminology
- Body Systems and Disease
- Management Responsibilities and Medical Office Management
- Computer Applications in the Medical Office
- Advanced Word
- Advanced Excel
- PowerPoint and Outlook
- Accounting and Bookkeeping for Medical Office
- Client Services & Interpersonal Skills
- Administrative Skills and Procedures
- Practice Management Software
- Clinical Skills and Procedures
Medical Office Assistants work primarily in doctors’ offices, medical clinics, hospitals, health care agencies, retirement homes, long-term facilities, etc. By performing administrative tasks and some basic non-invasive clinical procedures, they are vital members of the health care community. Typical Job Titles include: Medical Secretary, Medical Billing Clerk, Medical Administrative Assistant, Medical Secretary, Medical Receptionist, Ward Secretary.
- Grade 12 (OSSD) or equivalent
- If you are 19 years or older and do not have an OSSD or equivalent, a minimum passing score of 18 on the Wonderlic SLE entrance test
- Good oral and written English skills
- Medical Certificate (free of communicable disease with up-to-date immunization status)
- Admissions interview to determine suitability for the program
Note: Although not an admission requirement, Hepatitis B immunization is strongly recommended, since it is required by many employers.