Program Length: 34 weeks
The Early Childcare Assistant program was developed to equip childcare workers with valuable knowledge, skills and experience for employment as Assistants in daycares or early learning centres. It was designed to give students an overview of the responsibilities of an early childcare assistant and opportunities to perform those responsibilities.
In addition to covering early childhood development, program planning, communication and other vital topics in childcare, the program also includes the role of computers in a childcare setting and how to use this tool to enhance the development in children.
- Role of the Childcare Worker
- Observation Skills
- Child Development
- Guiding Children
- Program Planning
- Children and Technology
- Communication Skills
- Health and Safety
- CPR/ First Aid
- Clinical Placement
College also arranges 490 hours of mandatory Practicum Placement for the students. The placement provides the students the opportunity to apply the theories into a real work situation.
Graduates may find employment as assistant teachers in child care centres and nursery schools, or as family-home child care providers. Job titles include: Child Care Assistant, Child Care Worker, Daycare Early Childhood Educator Assistant, Day Care Worker, Day Care Teacher, Preschool Teacher, Baby Care Worker, Infant Day Care Worker, Nursery School Helper, and Preschool Helper.
- Grade 12 (OSSD) or equivalent
- If you are 19 years or older and do not have an OSSD or equivalent, a minimum passing score of 14 on the Wonderlic SLE entrance test
- Good oral and written English skills
- Medical Certificate (free of communicable disease with up-to-date immunization status)
- Negative Police Check (Vulnerable persons)[RICH_REVIEWS_FORM category=”none”]